Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Time to Experiment Again - Tehina Rolls


I like to collect cookbooks. It's a fact. I probably have a couple of hundred 'traditional', i.e., hardcover cookbooks all displayed in maybe half a dozen different bookcases all over the house. And that's not counting the ones I've downloaded in all kinds of formats, from PDF to epub. That makes a couple of hundred more. Oh, and let's not forget my recipe collection safely stored in MasterCook (maybe 100K recipes, only some collected by me, OK only most collected by me). And everyday, I get email from more websites with recipes for ..,. well you name it. In my own defense, I don't save then all. But I do save some of them. The collection is growing.

Which only begs the question, if I have all these recipes, how come sometimes, like today, I just want to try something new. Something I haven't read about, or seen elsewhere. Something that just sounds like it should be good, so why not? That's how this recipe came about. I was going through the fridge, and came upon an unopened container of tehina, with added garlic and parsley. It just had to work, so I tried it. I wasn't wrong :).

Here's What You'll Need:
3 cups AP flour
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. instant yeast
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 cup + 1 Tbs. warm water (about 265 ml)
1/4 cup (about 60g) prepared tehina paste (with or without the added garlic and parsley)
about 1 tsp. dried garlic flakes, crushed

Here's What You'll Need To Do:
1. Place the dry ingredients (flour, salt, yeast, sugar) in a large bowl, or the bowl of a mixer, and stir to mix.

2. Add the water and the oil and mix to form a slurry, then add the tehina paste. Knead this soft dough, adding a little flour if you need to so it isn't too sticky until a rough dough form. Knead this dough for about 10 minutes until smooth. In a mixer, it will clean the bowl completely.

3. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat, then cover until doubled in volume, about 1 1/2 hours.

4. Form the dough into rolls (or leave it as is and form a loaf). Let this rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. About 15 minutes before the end of the second rise, pre-heat the oven to 350 F (180 C).

5. Bake rolls for about 15 minutes or until a light brown. A loaf will take longer, about 25 minutes (on turbo) or 30 minutes with a regular setting. The house smells amazing! Oh, and with pastrami, it's to die for.

No comments:

Post a Comment